Our firm regularly assists individuals and businesses with the sale, purchase, or development of commercial and residential real estate. All of our attorneys are CRESPA (Consumer Real Estate Protection Act) certified, enabling them to conduct closings on behalf of buyers of real estate.
If you are planning to engage in a real estate transaction in Virginia, we can help you with all aspects of the impending transaction. Our expertise includes assisting both commercial and residential clients in sale of property, financing and development, construction contracts, title examinations, and real estate property investments.
We are available to help clients in structuring their real estate development financing, sales and purchases and are experienced in representing landowners and public entities in eminent domain proceedings. In addition, we are knowledgeable in advising clients on issues pertaining to construction and construction lending.
Land Use, Zoning & Permitting Top
Our firm regularly represents clients in challenging projects across the state of Virginia. We understand the development process, and we know that increased government regulations at the local, state, and federal levels are making development more difficult. We actively participate as an advocate for the development community when new ordinances or policies are initiated. Our land use representation has been focused in the Greater Richmond Area where we have represented clients in Chesterfield, Goochland, Powhatan, Colonial Heights, Dinwiddie, Richmond, Henrico, Hanover, Petersburg, Hopewell, and in many other areas of the state including Farmville, Virginia Beach, Suffolk, Hampton Roads and beyond. We are passionate about property rights and have represented clients in the following:
- Obtaining easements from adjacent property owners;
- Rezoning of property with negotiated proffers and conditions;
- permits obtained from local, state, and federal agencies;
- Participating in ordinance and regulation amendments in various localities;
- Obtaining grandfathering and vesting letters from localities.
Family Law / Domestic Relations Top
Our firm provides representation in divorce and other domestic relations matters including child custody, visitation, adoption, spousal support, child support, and the preparation of pre-marital agreements and property settlement agreements.
Corporate Law Top
Our firm provides general counseling to clients on a variety of business issues including the formation of closely held small to mid-size companies, the purchase or sale of all or part of a business, the drafting of agreements, and employee matters. We provide a full array of services to business clients, including:
- Advising on tax planning, personal liability, profit sharing, management, and business succession;
- Drafting buy/sell agreements;
- Drafting and negotiating corporate contracts;
- Drafting employment agreements;
- Setting up corporations and other business entities;
- Drafting articles of incorporation, liability waivers, and other necessary corporate documents;
- Ensuring corporate compliance;
- Handling employment issues including drafting employment manuals, non-compete agreements and confidentiality agreements;
- Drafting contracts and leases;
- Handling corporate and commercial real estate matters; and
- Serving as corporate counsel and registered agent.
Estate Planning & Administration Top
Our firm understands that estate planning and the probate process are difficult to navigate, and we take time with each client to fully understand the client’s financial situation and personal needs. We help clients create an individualized plan that preserves wealth for heirs and guides loved ones when the time comes to make decisions about one’s care.
Examples of the types of estate planning client representations we handle include:
- Wills and Codicils;
- Durable Medical Powers of Attorney;
- Advanced Medical Directives;
- Contingent Powers of Attorney;
- Family Limited Partnerships and Limited Liability Companies;
- Special Needs and Disability Trusts;
- Business Succession Planning;
- Advice on Asset Protection;
- Counsel on Wealth Preservation;
- Guardianships and Conservatorships; and
- Health Care Proxies and Directives.
Our firm has represented executors and personal representatives in the settling of estates. We assist clients through the probate process and have assisted with the following:
- Marshaling assets;
- Paying creditors;
- Liquidating real estate or other property;
- Acquiring proceeds of life insurance policies;
- Distributing assets to heirs;
- Filing tax returns;
- Final accounting;
- Trust administration;
- Resolving estate ligation dealing with will contests and allegations involving undue influence, lack of testamentary capacity and breach of fiduciary duty.
Our firm assists businesses in collecting monies owed from contracts, judgments, or insurance policies. In addition to the many businesses that we represent, we have worked with numerous landlords in residential and commercial collection actions.
Commercial Litigation Top
Our firm works hard to handle disputes in a manner that brings about the best results for our clients providing minimal disruption to the business, lower legal fees, and limits liability exposure. We work together as a team to provide cost-conscious solutions often avoiding costly litigation. Our firm has handled many corporate disputes including:
- Contract disputes;
- Lease disputes;
- Partnership disputes;
- Business dissolution;
- Non-compete agreements;
- Construction litigation; and
- Commercial collections.
Construction Law Top
Our firm regularly represents builders, developers and contractors in construction law matters ranging from contract negotiations, licensing issues, and litigation when it arises. Our firm’s representative work in the area of construction law includes:
- Participating in mediations involving claims of breach of contract and defective design;
- Filing and enforcement of mechanics’ liens from the initial filing and litigation to the enforcement of the lien by sale;
- Drafting and reviewing contracts;
- Delay and disruption claims, changes, and other equitable adjustment claims;
- Professional negligence (architects and engineers);
- Representation of clients in regulatory proceedings through DPOR and other agencies;
- Assisting clients with permitting problems at the local, state, and federal level on construction-related issues from building permits to wetlands permitting.
General Legal Services Top
In addition to the above, our attorneys also have experience in other general legal matters.
Please contact us at (804)748-3600 to discuss how we can assist with the legal needs of you or your business.
9910 Wagners Way
P.O. Box 58, Chesterfield,
Phone: 804.748.3600 ext. 2